11.06.2013

WHERE'S THE BUS?

I'm asking this for my elderly neighbor Nell:

According to the bus schedule in the Nov. Reporter, the No. 2 bus is supposed to stop in front of Sheffield N, where there's a bench, at 8:23 a.m. and hourly at 23 past thereafter, skipping only the 12:30 stop, until 4:23 p.m. This morning Nell waited at 8:23 and again at 11:23 (allowing time before and after), and no bus came by. This has happened before, and it happened still again at 1:23 this afternoon. This last time she watched from her window. Nell ends up sitting out on the bench waiting for a half hour in the heat, where there is no shade, and today she did this twice--an elderly woman dependent on our buses! She told me about it, and I drove her to Publix, where we bought groceries. Nell suspects that because there often is no passenger waiting at our bus stop, the driver may omit the part of the run onto Elgin Street and looping around, and go directly down Glencoe to Hastings. Unless we are misreading the schedule or it's been changed, shouldn't the driver be following the prescribed route?  If he or she is skipping our stop out of sheer laziness or pressure to meet the schedule, it irritates me. And if the driver should say, "I look up the street and see nobody at the stop; that's why I go straight down Glencoe," I would protest. The driver is on the left side of the bus looking far to the right if he does this; AND, sitting on the bench, one often cannot see the bus on Glencoe, so how could the reverse be true and the driver be assured of being able to see someone on, behind or approaching the bench? 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lanny,
    Please be sure to pass this info to Lorri Torres, Chair Transportation Committee.

    Dave Israel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave, I will, but today (as of 10:30 a.m.) the bus has been going by us. Nell has seen it three times. I'm still going to let Lori know about it, though, because it may be only one driver who is skipping us and thus it's periodic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori's going to bring it up at a meeting next week. She said it could be a new driver (they have some) who didn't understand the route. I hadn't thought of that, and here I was ready to clobber somebody. Lori does a great job.

    ReplyDelete