11.15.2013

Aldi v Publix

Aldi's store claims big savings so I ran a test with Publix this week. Aldi does not have bakery, deli, much choice of sizes, or much staff, I rounded up all the 9c.

Aldi
Publix

Red grapes 2 lbs
$1.80
$5.00

Cauliflower lg
$1.80
$6.00

Broccoli crowns
$1.80
$2.50

Pineapple whole
$1.30
$5.00

Acorn Squash 2 lb
$1.20
$3.00

Frozen strawberries 1 lb
$2.30
$2.00

Frozen berry/rasp 12 oz
$2.30
$3.00

Smoked sausage 13 oz
$2.30
$3.30

Condensed Milk
$1.20
$2.30

Half & half 1 qt
$1.60
$2.40

Shrimp Ring 1 lb
$7.00
$17.00

Total
$24.60
$51.50


So you can save if you do not need a zillion choices and can be flexible. I do not like processed boxed foods at either place, there is too much HFCS, MSG, salt, sugar, etc.  

8 comments:

  1. What if you need some real food, like from the twinky group??

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snack cakes are some wierd brand. No Hostess or Drakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Publix is a rip off and take advantage of our patronage. I would like to see our buses go elsewhere, or get CV to boycott them until they make their prices more reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Publix has 1,080 stores, its capitalism Bob. I will adjust my shopping now I see the cost of convenience. Less pesticides and less GMO are my main guidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got back from Western Beef on Hypoluxo and Military. I did the happy dance when they finally came to Florida. Worth the trip just for the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A year or so ago, I began using a pickup and delivery laundry service every two weeks, and it has worked out well. Why don't you run a similar grocery-purchasing service, Elaine? I might sign up as one of your first customers if the price was right, and I'd leave it to you to decide on the best store to buy at. My only stipulations would be to buy some mackerel, trout or bluefish every couple of weeks from the woman at the fish counter at the Crosstown Plaza Publix and to buy me cranberry juice each week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In defense of Publix, I will say that their stores are clean, the aisles are not too narrow, and when you take a grocery cart, it usually rolls well. I find it very annoying to take a grocery cart at a store, go down an aisle or two, and then find one of the wheels sticks or the cart veers to one side. The Publix personnel seem to be friendly and helpful, and I notice that they hire some people (mostly those who bag groceries and assist with carts) who are mentally or physically "challenged," but who can do these jobs. That is a wonderful thing on the part of Publix, I think, and I don't mind paying a little extra to shop there and support them. But I know too that some of us must really count the pennies, and I can understand why they shop where they can get items at the lowest possible price. The woman behind the fish counter at the Crosstown Plaza Publix is one of my favorites, and another is one of their longtime cashiers.

    ReplyDelete